Dear MacKillop Community,
My name is Amber Elisabeth Stevens and I am the MacKillop Catholic College Board Chairperson. Born in the Netherlands, I migrated to Australia in 2004 to be with my Australian husband. We have two children at the College, a daughter in Year 11 and a son in Year 7. When they started their primary school journey, I wanted to be involved in the school community, so I joined Woodroffe Primary School Council and spent five years there, including three as Chair. Our daughter started at MacKillop in 2016. Wishing to continue being an active part of her school I joined the MacKillop College Board, eventually becoming chairperson once again.
I am honoured to work with an amazing group of people who are all dedicated to the benefit of our children and our College community as a whole. Thank you to all who dedicate their time and effort. The Board is a place where each member can speak freely about the things that matter to them. Each view and voice is respected and valued. The Board is inclusive of all, and together we strive to “Lead with Courage”. College staff, parents, carers, our parish priest, alumni and members of the wider community all participate to shape the future of our College and children.
Function of the College Board
The MacKillop Board lies at the heart of our Catholic Community. It is an advisory body to the Principal and College Leadership. It shares in genuine leadership by managing change through renewal and improvement.
The Board is responsible to the Bishop through the Director of Catholic Education.
Our Board is made up of parents/carers, teaching staff, parish priest, alumni, members of our wider community and the Principal. The College Board contributes to the overall welfare of the school, using the expertise and experience of those on the Board. We all share in rights, dignities and responsibilities.
The College Board follows the Vision Statement of the College. Like Mary MacKillop; the members on the Board inspire to work with clear minds that value learning. To have compassionate hearts and courageous spirits to serve our College with confidence.
The Board meets once a month, usually on the third Monday of each month. The School Board’s AGM is held in September. Nominations are called for prior to this meeting.
Role and Responsibilities
Each Diocesan Northern Territory School Board has responsibility for the overall wellbeing of its school. The MacKillop College Board acts in an advisory capacity to the Principal and School Leadership. The Board is involved in conversations pertaining to the strategic direction of the College. The Board is not responsible for operational matters which are the concern of the College Principal.
In fulfilling the strategic role, the College Board has a responsibility for:
- contributing to the development of the Strategic Plan, Annual improvement plan, the College Annual Report and Financial Management;
- participating in College renewal and other monitoring processes; and,
- monitoring and reviewing the college’s performance against identified goals and targets set out in the Strategic Plan and the Annual Improvement Plan.
The College Board:
- assists the Principal in development of structures helpful to determining future needs of the College;
- assists with the forward planning of the capital development of the College;
- assists the Principal in the appraisal of members of staff where requested;
- assists in the development of appropriate policies regarding the level, collection and remission of College fees;
- assists in the development of appropriate enrolment policies;
- provides and ensure appropriate pastoral care for the Principal;
- follows the guidelines and directions pertaining to School Boards issued by the Catholic Education office;
- assists in fostering the school involvement with the parish and local community;
- undertakes any other matters as referred by the College Principal; and,
- conducts an annual review of its operations during the meeting prior to the Annual General Meeting.
Meeting Dates 2021
Monday 19th April 2021, 6pm
Monday 17th May 2021, 6pm
Monday 21th June 2021, 6pm
Monday 26th July 2021, 6pm (note: students return back to school Tuesday 20th July, hence board meeting made the following week)
Monday 16th August 2021, 6pm
Monday 20th September 2021, 6pm
Monday 18th October 2021, 6pm
Monday 15th November 2021, 6pm
Meeting Summaries 2021
05 Summary Highlights Board Meeting June 2021
04 Summary Highlights Board Meeting May 2021
03 Summary Highlights Board Meeting April 2021
02 Summary Highlights Board Meeting March 2021
01 Summary Highlights Board Meeting February 2021
Fr Tom English
Executive Officer (Co Op)
Peter Moloney (Principal)
Rod Plummer (Staff)
Finance (Co Op)
Other Parent Representatives