Learning takes place inside and outside the classroom at MacKillop Catholic College. Students have the opportunity to choose Outdoor Education electives in Years 8 and 9. Senior students interested in Outdoor and Environmental Studies can elect to study Stage 1 and Stage 2.
Students participate in activities such as: hiking, orienteering, mountain biking, canoeing, fishing, rock climbing, surf lifesaving and archery. Our Outdoor Education program provides students with an opportunity to develop:
- An appreciation of the environment
- Community spirit and team-working strategies
- Leadership and problem-solving skills
- Planning and camp preparation
- Risk and safety management
- Personal and group responsibilities
To take advantage of our diverse environment in the Northern Territory, different locations are used for our Outdoor Education program. These include and may not be limited to; Litchfield National Park, Mandorah, Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, Lake Bennett and Urban Darwin.
Miss Jade Timmins
Outdoor Education Coordinator